6 cups of flour 1 cup of sugar 3/4 tbsp. salt 3 eggs 1/4 lb. butter 1 cup of milk 1 tbsp. lemon extract 1 cake yeast 2/3 cup of warm water
TOPPING AND FILLING:
1/2 cup of butter 1 1/2 cup of light brown sugar 1/2 cup of light corn syrup 2 cups of pecan pieces 1 packet (8 oz.) of chopped dates 1 tbsp. cinnamon
1. Dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water.
2. When yeast begins to float on top of water, mix in 1 cup of flour.
3. Beat the eggs, scald the milk and melt the butter. Add these with the salt, sugar and lemon extract to the yeast mixture, mixing well.
4. Add the remaining flour and knead lightly.
5. Brush the top with melted butter.
6. Cover and set in a warm place to rise until double in size.
Do the topping and filling:
7. Pre heat the oven to 200°C
8. Heat 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and corn syrup until the sugar dissolves.
9. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan coated with non stick spray.
10. Arrange pecan pieces evenly into the bottom of the pan.
Back to the buns:
11. Roll the raised dough into a slab roughly 18 x 24 inches.
12. Melt the remaining butter, and brush on to the top surface of the dough.
13. Combine remaining brown sugar with dates and cinnamon, and sprinkle evenly on the buttered dough.
14. Roll up like a Swiss Roll. Pinch the end seam to seal, and cut roll into 8 pieces.
15. Place the slices in a prepared pan, cut side up.
16. Let the slices rise in a warm draft free place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
17. Bake for 35 minutes or until done.
18. Cover with foil after 20 minutes in the oven, to prevent excessive browning or burnt bun tops.
Cooking is fun. Baking cakes and buns can be an educational activity for children, involving measuring, following instructions, decision making and socialising / working with other people. For the best experience make sure you have the ingredients and cooking equipment to hand before you begin baking. These recipes have all been tried and tested, and should work. No specialist cooking equipment is needed - the average kitchen will contain all the ingredients and equipment you need to have fun, and bake great cakes and buns.