4 1/2 cups bread flour 1 tablespoon active dry yeast 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup water 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup superfine sugar 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature 3 eggs, beaten, and at room temperature crushed sugar cubes or crystal sugar
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, place 1 cup of flour, the yeast and 1 teaspoon of granulated white sugar. Stir to combine well.
2. Combine the milk with water and heat it until it is lukewarm (not hot). Pour the liquid over the flour/yeast/sugar mixture. Mix well and allow to stand in a warm place for 30 minutes.
3. Beat the eggs until they are light and creamy. Add them to the flour mixture, along with the softened butter, and all of the remaining flour and sugar.
4. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic (about 4-8 minutes).
5. Place dough into a separate bowl which has been coated with butter or oil, turning the dough to coat the surface well so that it won't dry out. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp clean cloth and set the bowl in a warm place free from draft to rise until doubled in size.
6. After the dough has risen (about 90 minutes or so - depending on the room temperature) knead the dough (by hand) on a clean work surface for 2-3 minutes, then divide it into 15 or 16 balls. Place them on 1 or 2 buttered baking sheets. Cover loosely and allow to rise a final time for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
7. Brush the buns with a little beaten egg (or you can also use a spoonful of cream). Sprinkle the tops with crushed sugar cubes or crystal sugar.
8. Bake at 210°C for 15-20 minutes or until tops are light golden brown.
Cooking is fun. Baking cakes and buns can be an educational activity for children, involving measuring, following instructions, decision making and socialising / working with other people. For the best experience make sure you have the ingredients and cooking equipment to hand before you begin baking. These recipes have all been tried and tested, and should work. No specialist cooking equipment is needed - the average kitchen will contain all the ingredients and equipment you need to have fun, and bake great cakes and buns.